Year two has been easier and more interesting. Babies may be cute, but toddlers do stuff. Fun, weird, clever, adorable, annoying stuff. I call it an upgrade. And when your child finally starts talking with you, even if it’s just to tell you to go away so she can poop in peace, or to ask you for that one last extra piece of chocolate, well, it’s something else.
01.04.2015 / 02.04.2016
Here are some of the most important and formative firsts from Julia’s second year (dd.mm.yy):
- 01.04.15: First taste of chocolate. She loves it.
- 13.04.15: First taste of pizza. Mexicana with oregano. Meh.
- 19.04.15: Julia learns how to swipe on a Samsung Galaxy S4.
- 01.05.15: First taste of ice cream. Loves it.
- 06.07.15: Julia watches her first full piece of TV. Episode Snowed In from season 2 of Shaun the Sheep. She enjoys it and actually seems to get some of the comedy.
- 09.07.15: Julia realizes she can intentionally grab an object and throw it away from her. Loves it. Dad, not so much.
- 24.07.15: Julia starts to actually build with her Lego Duplos (as opposed to playing with individual pieces or, worse, dismantling awesome builds painstakingly constructed by mom or dad).
- 19.09.15: Possibly the first time Julia answers in the affirmative (“oo” for “joo”, “yes”). A refreshing change to the constant no’s.
- 21.10.15: Julia throws up over me for the very first time. Precious.
- 09.01.16: First sled ride.
- 23.01.16: First trip abroad and first time on an airplane. She flies like a pro.
- 29.03.16: Julia has pretty much figured out how to open the safety gate at the top of the stairs. Great.
Julia’s current interests:
- Singing (“Ihahaa”, “Laiva”, and “Bä, bä, vita lamm” are her bravuras)
- Climbing / Jumping / Running
- Breathlessly narrating important events from her day (adorable, if not always entirely coherent or comprehensible)
- Any shade of red, including pinks and violets (maybe it’s a phase)
Next up: Uhmaikä.
* * *
Gimme a sec. I got this.
Chillin’ with dad.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Trust me. This is how I roll.
Should somebody like go after her?
Pure joy or an ice cream headache? Who cares, it’s ice cream!
I took all their weapons. Now what?
“Daddy’s little helper”? Are you kidding me? Who made you boss?
Still not sure about lighting muffins on fire. Also, that thing looks structurally unsound.